Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hating on Elevators

Over the course of my son Jacob's battle with cancer, we spent countless hours in hospitals and precious moments waiting on elevators. Here are two poems that more than convey my sentiments for elevators at the time.


Nevermore

While I ponder weak and weary by the elevator door
Praying, hoping, ‘twould soon land on my linoleum floor.

T’was cross the hall a craven clerk from long lost days of yore,
Dashed my hopes with his foul quote of “Never…..Nevermore.”

“Hateful fiend, you craven man. Mock me now no more
Take thy wretched, ancient face from my linoleum floor!”

I shouted down the shaft as dark as night’s plutonian shore
But echoed back the Craven’s words, “Never….Nevermore.”

Long years have passed since first I pondered near that wretched door,
But now my place is ‘side the clerk from long lost days of yore.

And to the passing stranger on our white linoleum floor
Who punches that dreaded button, we both quoth
“Nevermore”




Elevators

By the elevator endlessly waiting
countless minutes lost debating
should the stairs I now descend
or wait here ‘til the bitter end?

Lost in thought , I stand here thinking
While my ride comes slowly sinking
Down its glacier’s path to me,
Waiting, hoping it to see.

Thousand years are now well passed
Finally it is here at last.
Yes, alas I’ve gained my prize
But dear Lord, ……doth it now rise!?


No comments:

Post a Comment