Thursday, December 8, 2011

Heavenly Balm

A few years back my youngest noticed that he was the only family member without a poem in his honor on the walls of our  home. He demanded that this be remedied. This was my response.


My Heavenly Balm

Before stars shimmered in the sky
or He spread sand on the shore
My God could hear my anguished cry
“Please send me a son once more!”

And in His perfect time and will
He sent a son to me,
To mend my heart and help me heal
deep wounds that eyes can’t see.

This balm that is my baby boy
Has made me whole again
And I can feel a father’s joy
Where desperate pain had been.

In Caleb, God has honored me
With a boy to make a man,
And planted in his heart, I see,
The strength to make him stand.

Inside my little bold one’s chest
A hero’s heart lies there in wait
To meet the trials that God deems best
To make his earthly labor great.

My father’s love will urge him on,
For no measure is so great
Though it should stretch from dusk to dawn
To fathom a love so great.

Count the stars shimmering in the sky
And the sand spread on the shore
But that will be a feeble try
Because I love him more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment