Sunday, December 4, 2011

Going to Spain

I wrote this little poem to be delivered for another faculty devotional time at the insistence of one of my colleagues. Since she is the head of the English Department and I am not, I complied.

 I had always assumed that when Paul tells the Romans he was gonna stop by on his way to Spain that he never actually made it there, to Spain I mean. However, one of our Bible teachers pointed out at the beginning of my talk that some folks believe he did get over that way. Kinda threw a monkey wrench into the poem if he did make it, but the sentiment remains. We think we can chart our own course.


Going to Spain
(Romans 15:23-24)
How often have we made our plans to journey on to Spain?
Our cause seems right, the weather fair, the course marked straight and plain.
We plot our routes to miss the snares and wind round rougher ways.
We plan and make allowance for every minute of our days.
Yet, seldom in all our scheming do we ever seek to ask
“Is this my Savior’s errand or my self-appointed task?”
How often have we made our plans to seek what we call home?
And all the while the Savior’s lead is straight and true to Rome.


No comments:

Post a Comment