Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Wish Feminist Were This Liberated

This is another article for the digital High Point Magazine at ECS. Yet another example from my Treasure Chest.
****************************************************************

In order to put 2003 graduate Drace Tashie’s ECS story in context, a slightly modified version of Sister Sledge’s 1979 hit song “We are Family” would be helpful. Drace’s version would have to go something like “We are family…. I got my little sister with me… and all my brothers, … and my Mom and my Dad, oh! and 23 first cousins, two sister’s-in-law, three second cousins, and….. 10 aunts and uncles.” Add all those folks up and you get 45 of Drace’s family members who have attended ECS since the 1970’s. That would be 45 compelling reasons to continue to invest in the school.

Consider that, and Drace’s continued commitment to Evangelical Christian School begins to make a lot of sense. It explains why her current involvement is a heart issue. “Some of the greatest memories of my life were of my time at ECS. My mom says that I would do high school all over again. And she’s right. I just loved the experience.”

Her time at ECS and the teachings and encouragement of her parents have this Samford University graduate not only back in Memphis working as a pharmacist for Kroger, but giving back to the students of ECS. “As I have gotten older I have really begun to appreciate the work of ECS even more, and I would encourage graduates who enjoyed their time at ECS to give back to the school. Right now I am not married, and I have the time to pour into others. It is those relationships that last into eternity,” Drace explains.
That eternal aspect of relationships has Drace pouring herself into the lives of students spiritually, physically, and financially.

 Three years ago she started meeting every other Sunday for a Bible study with a group of about 15 eighth grade girls, some cousins included. “Going into their sophomore year this fall there are about eight girls who are really regular.” She makes it clear that her involvement in the lives of these girls is in large part due to what she gleaned from her teachers and coaches at ECS. “My teachers and coaches were a big part of my spiritual growth, and I want to give back the life lessons I learned through the classroom and athletics. I also find that I am learning while I am teaching these girls.”

Naturally, as a former three sport athlete in basketball, soccer and softball at ECS, one would suspect Drace of finding a way to pour herself into a sports team at the school as well. So, this past year she got involved with the varsity girls’ basketball team and continues to work with the girls this summer. “I can’t make every practice, and I miss some games because of work, but I really enjoy being there with the girls.” Not only does she help on the court but she gives back by doing everything from making game week treats to monograming team towels.

 “Drace is such an encouragement for us to work hard and push ourselves because we know she did those same things right here too,” explains Kate Jamison of her, yes, …. cousin Drace.  “It is so good for these high school girls to see a young career woman like Drace who loves the Lord and loves them and is willing to mentor them,” adds Karen Jamison, an alumna and ECS basketball mom, and oh yea,  one of her aunts. “She has been a big sister to the girls who don’t have sisters, and that has been so encouraging for them to have a picture of a young woman who can be a great athlete and yet be girly,” continues Karen.

If this were the extent of Drace’s investment in the students of ECS, it would be impressive enough. However, according to ECS Advancement Director Rex Jones, “Drace is the model graduate because she gives not only her time and her talent but her treasure as well. She is one of our most faithful alums when it comes to giving financially.”

This probably comes as no surprise to her mom who Drace says always encouraged her “… to tithe and to give where the Lord leads.” This too is a heart issue for Drace. “I know how important the tuition assistance program has been to some of my cousins who would not have been able to experience ECS without some help. I give because I don’t want money to be an issue for special kids.”

A conversation with Drace is a wonderful encouragement. Her parents, her grandparents, and her days at ECS have equipped her with a way of seeing the world that is decidedly Christ centered and relationship oriented. Her days as a pharmacist had their origins in the advice of her grandfather and the magic of her chemistry teacher Paul Vanderswaag who, according to Drace, gave her confidence by demonstrating that “science was not scary.” Her work is informed by the wisdom gleaned from Mr. Mark Brink’s senior Bible class that equipped her to answer her patient’s “serious life questions and to talk about deeper things.”

Drace Tashie is a model giver.

We can only imagine what she might have done just one more cousin in the mix? 

No comments:

Post a Comment