Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I am Quite Satisfied with my Life

In most regards I am quite satisfied with my life. I don’t really waaaant anything. That is to say that all the stuff that I am currently living without has proven to be remarkably easy to store and maintain and not the least bit taxing on my time. Nor has any of it been an economic drain since having not purchased it has proven to be considerably less expensive than purchasing it would have been.  

Don’t get me wrong, there are things that I often declare that I want. I mean I wouldn’t turn down a new truck if one was offered. But on the other hand, just the other day when I was considering just such vehicular infidelity, I couldn’t help but think how I would miss my old two-toned, copper colored, ’94 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat if we ever parted. Yes, Rusty leaks fluid from all of its orifices at varying rates, but it has character, a character born out of adversity.

 My farmer neighbors know when I am coming because for the last few years Rusty has emitted a low, whining roar from somewhere down in the bowels of his drive train. He is addicted to brake fluid. He smokes a little too. His driver’s side window will still respond to the down command just not the up. I have trained myself not to let it all the way down, that way I can still grip the top of the glass and tug it up, then push hard in and up against the glass to finish closing it. I can reach down and rub my fingers across the crusty upholstery on the front of the driver’s side seat and recount all those hasty gas station fried chicken dinners as I rolled down the road to a fishing hole or deer stand and the seat served as my napkin. How could I part  with a truck whose console houses everything from old chewing gum, Vienna sausages, various caliber rifle cartridges, shot gun shells, a bottle of coon urine, a spool of 12 pound test,  and a crow call. The chances of accumulating a collection like that in a new truck console would take years. I don’t really waaannt a new truck.

I really think I don’t really waaaant anything. My four-wheeler runs fine now. I got a new tire for my tiller so now it won’t just plow in circles. My lawn tractor makes a funny noise but is still cutting. I have all the guns I need to shoot what I want to shoot. I have a squirrel dog and a dachshund that will drag a coon out of a hole. I have more fishing rods than I have arms so that’s plenty. I don’t really need another knife. And my son has 35 chickens, give or take.

My house is just the right size. It’s cozy. We live close. I love my wife. I adore my daughter. I’m proud of my son. I have a great job. I’ve got all the stuff that really matters.

Sometimes I wish I made more money, but you can only use it to buy stuff. I’d rather have treasure. It’s impossible to lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment