Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Glorious Pay for Children's Play

I have told my kids since they were little that their job was to get dirty. They have always taken their work seriously, However, my son will often re-confirm that standing order just before he plunges into some muddy quagmire. I suspect he wants to make sure I have his back when we arrive on the deck with another ruined t-shirt stained beyond recognition. 

The Glorious Pay for Children's Play

The glorious pay for children’s play
Is found behind their ears.
On dusty brows and dirty cheeks
Streaked clean with laughter’s tears.
It’s dirt that’s pay for a youngster’s day
When he romps through bright sunshine.

Then it’s off to the tub for a hearty scrub
To wash the soil away,
And trade the beads acquired in play
For a ring round Mom’s white tub.  
Then off to dive in clothes-line-dried,
Sweet smelling, twin bed sheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment