Monday, May 7, 2012

On Being Married Twenty-five Years

Heather and I just recently hit the 25 year mark for our marriage. I love her attitude about it. “Honey, it’s just another year. What is so special about 25? Is it more important than 26?” Granted she is not a romantic, but I admire her practicality. Her comment is fraught with meaning. At the very least, it means I have at least one more year before she kicks me to the curb. But I know that statistically speaking, we are an anomaly. We lost a child to cancer---we should have already divorced. I suspect that if that couldn’t tear us apart there really isn’t much that could.

The good news for me is that I caught her young, before she had enough sense to suspect I wasn’t the greatest catch in the world. Now that she knows better, she also knows that twenty five years to train a man is way too much time to throw away in hopes of getting another one of higher quality. Besides, I am no fool either. The chances of me scoring another girl like her are zip. I went yard. If she leaves I am going with her.

I also think she suspects I love her. I laugh now at the sappy, moon-eyed love I used to declare for her when we were dating or the passionate, all consuming, conflagration I called love when we were first married. Twenty-five years later love is so much more steady, so much more informed in what matters most. I am married to a woman of noble character, tested in the fires, tenacious and loyal and loving. Once upon a time I just thought I loved her. Now I know I love HER.

I love this woman who reads my mind and tells me what to do, who has given me every truly good thing in my life, and who loses everything from her keys to her coffee cup. I’m not going anywhere. I suspect twenty-five years is just the under graduate program for how to love my wife. I’m gonna work on my masters for the next twenty-five years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment